BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, 19 December 2009

Modelling

As I said in a previous post, I was initially quite intimidated by block modelling, however I got the hang of it quite quickly in the end. Because my character is quite curved and organic looking, I put the cube in hyperNURBS, so I could keep looking at smooth and hard versions of my model. I started with a cube in cinema 4D and gave it 4 subdivisions on each side. After converting it to an editable object I started moving the points around to make a more spherical shape for the head. I found it quite useful selcting multiple points and using the scale tool to make sure the points that I wanted moving on each side were moving the same distance. From there I selected 2 polygons on the bottom of the "head" and then extruded them for the body. I then used the knife tool to cut more polygons and moved the points aroud to make the body as well as extruding some arms and legs. One of the hardest bits was getting my character's man boobs look like man boobs. He ended up with some strange pointy breasts a few times but after a lot of knifing, extruding and moving things about I managed getting them looking reasonably good.


Here are a few looks at my early model. The 2 left models are without the hyperNURBS and the right 2 are with. I have shown them with and without the lines.


To do the horns I drew one in Illustrator(left), then imported it into Cinema 4D and put it in extrudeNURBS to make it 3D then put that in symmetry.


Here is my most up to date model from a back and side view. i spent quite a bit of time sculpting his arse and shoulder blades. I tried giving him more of a spine but it just looked horrible. Also you can see how the normal map and texture look on my model. I'm very happy with the whole thing so far as it is great seeing the character I have been drawing for months become 3D. I obviously need to put some hands and feet on it and a tail but thats about it. After that I am considering rigging him up with bones and joints and the sticking him in unity. I don't yet know if I will do much in terms of a 3D game but I would like to get him moving around just to see what he'd look like if he were in a 3D game.

0 comments: