BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, 5 December 2009

Enter the Third Dimension

Thomas Greenough took one look at my character design and said "You’re going to model and rig that?", laughed evilly and walked away. This worried me a little bit as I have used Cinema 4D before but only using a combination of Booleans, hypernurbs, sweep nurbs etc. etc. It was actually fellow IMD course mate Liam Viney who gave me a useful bit of information, which is that most 3D designers use a technique called block modelling and showed me a rough example of what he meant. Block modelling seemed quite intimidating at first however there are so many positive benefits to using this technique instead of using "tricks" as I had done before, that it seemed like the only option. Not only does block modelling give you a single clear and precise model but it cuts down the polygon count massively, making it much more practical in the game world. I will show how I DID model the character despite Thomas' dissuading cackle in my next few posts.

0 comments: