A few weeks ago my laptop decided it would give up on life for the third time in the 14 month period that I have had it. I am planning on heading to PC world at the weekend to see if I can get it replaced. The really annoying thing is that it had ALL the work I had done on my games design. I had not only finished my 12 frame walking animation but had done an idol animation as well. On top of that I blocked out a lot of the code in actionscript 2 to make my character move about.
The main problem I had with my animation and code was that (as you can see in my previous post) my character didn't walk on the spot but moved across a fixed point. This meant that I had to code it so that after the animation reached its 12th frame and looped back to the first frame, the whole animation would leap forward a few pixels to make it look as though he was actually walking as opposed to "moonwalking". This looked really nice visually until you took your finger off the left or right key half way through a walk cycle as the character appeared to ping back to the starting position (as the cycle had not finished therefore didn't move forward). I have racked my brain trying to think of a way to preserve the nice smooth walking animation that I have become attached to; however I have had to make the reluctant decision to sacrifice form for function. I'm sure it is possible but 1. I am only making a small representation of what the game would look like, were it to be made in its entirety and 2. I am new to coding and am pushing my brain to its very limits as it is.
Monday, 30 November 2009
The Laptop Hell and What I Lost
Posted by lco1987 at 01:10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment